Over the past several months, you may have noticed that the blog was a little more quite than usual. As addressed in my last post (MY MENTAL HEALTH BATTLE), I do still struggle with depression and anxiety from time to time. Due to all of my commitments, I began to feel overwhelmed and ultimately had to take a step back from everything. This time was not unproductive, however! If you are subscribed to my newsletter or follow me on Facebook, then you saw that I am now a published author! The book was officially launched last week and is a HUGE accomplishment for me (click HERE for more information on how to purchase). Also, during this time, I have been working on collecting stories, recipes, and other awesome content to share with y’all! What better way to make a come back than with a southern favorite: peach cobbler!
Since transitioning to a mostly vegan lifestyle, I have learned that there are tons of ways to save on produce. My personal favorite option is the local farmer’s market. By purchasing local, I am able to buy a week’s worth of organic produce for my family of 5 for less than $100! One of the best parts about our farmer’s market is their peaches! The kids and I stopped by yesterday and got a few pounds of peaches, just as rich and juicy as you could wish for. I noticed this morning that a few of them were starting to get a little riper than I would like, so naturally I got to baking!
Vegan & Sugar Substitutions
Peach cobbler is one of my absolute favorites (along with about 90% of my southern neighbors). There is nothing more comforting than the warmth, gooey breading, and sweet richness of this popular dessert. In the past when I have baked this dish it was FULL of sugar and milk. Having transitioned to vegan, the milk was no longer an option. Lately, my family has also been making an effort to cut out sugar after reading some research on the effects it has on the body. Thankfully, both of these ingredients are easy to substitute for!
Full disclosure: I am not a fan of the flavor of agave. However, when used in baking it goes virtually undetectable! Because of my slight aversion to agave, this recipe also includes a bit of organic maple syrup. My husband said that after tasting it you would never guess that there wasn’t sugar in it.
- All-Purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 TBSP
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Agave Nectar – 1 cup
- Organic Maple Syrup – 1 cup
- Vegan Butter substitute – 1/2 cup
- Soy Milk** – 1 cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 TBSP
- Peaches – 6 fresh, ripe, peeled, and sliced
*I made a smaller pan and just used half of each ingredient listed.
**Any milk variation will work, soy milk was what I had on hand.
Vegan, Sugar-Free Peach Cobbler
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter and pour in 13×9 pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in milk of choice and agave. Stir until combined and pour over melted butter (DO NOT MIX WITH BUTTER — JUST POUR OVER).
- In a saucepan mix peaches, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil while making sure to stir constantly. Once it comes to a boil, pour evenly (unlike I did in the pictures provided 😉 ) over batter. (Again, DO NOT MIX WITH BATTER/BUTTER — JUST POUR OVER).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes, and ENJOY!
The crust on this recipe was nice and crisp, and the cobbler soft, and gooey; the perfect combination! Such a taste bud pleaser, and still (somewhat) healthy! Top with almond whipped cream or your favorite dairy-free ice cream for a bit of a boost!
For blog updates be sure to subscribe below! You can also follow Mama Of Kings Blog on Facebook!