Surgery recovery

Unexpected Surgery News

First off, before I get too far into this: be sure to check out the blog post that I wrote for Seats For Three the other day on Baby Led Weaning! If you are interested in reading it click HERE.

And THANK YOU ALL so much for your kind words, prayers, and encouragement!

It seems that every time my aunt and I get a chance to talk, I start out with, “this is my life.” You see, there is hardly anything that ever happens in my life that is NOT crazy. Naturally, with three young children, my home and life are bound to be chaotic. But this is totally different. So much so that if you didn’t know me, you would think I was making everything up.

Now, as I told y’all a few weeks ago, I FINALLY found a doctor who was willing to help me with my kidney problems. After viewing my CT scans, they determined that surgery was indeed necessary, so we began to make preparations. Being that I had been dealing with the same kidney stone for almost a year, my doctors believed that surgery was my only real option.

The week after my appointment I began experiencing the symptoms of a UTI. My friend and I created a regimen for me to try to knock out the infection. After about three days of introducing this regimen to my body, I felt an immense relief! The pain was gone! There was one incident that I believe led up to what was found yesterday during my surgery, but we can discuss that later.

Surgery Day

Prep Work

Yesterday morning, Derek and I got up, took Norah to her grandmother’s (Lana and Ace spent the night), and proceeded to the outpatient surgery center. I started to get really nervous as I was checking in, but it was too late to bail out now. We sat out in the lobby for a bit until the nurse came to get me. I was prepped with a gown and IV for the procedure, and everything was going as planned.

Some time later, the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about what types of anesthesia and pain medication she would be using.

We finished discussing the options and rolled to the operating room. The last thing I remember was talking to the nurse about how awesomeeee four year olds can be. (<—just a tad bit of sarcasm if you didn’t pick up on it)

I was scheduled for a cystoscopy, with laser abrasion and a stent insertion. According to the CT Scans at the hospital, I had one large 9 mm stone blocking one side, and at least 20 other stones between both kidneys, ureters, and my bladder. The stent was to be used as a guard and support for my eroded ureter.


After the surgery, I woke up in the recovery room. I could hear the nurses at the nurse station whispering that “the stone was MIA”. I just knew they had to be talking about another patient because my stone wasn’t going anywhere on its own!

Minutes later my nurse walks around the corner and tells me that they could not find a S I N G L E  stone ANYWHERE!!!!!

Not only that, but the stent was not placed because it appeared that the stone had passed approximately two weeks prior to the surgery and my ureter was almost fully healed. The doctor actually said it was “a little red and angry”, but nothing to worry about.

Imagine the amount of confusion that my brain was trying to sort through. Not only was I loopy from the medicine, but then they tell me that I basically had surgery for NO reason.

In hindsight…

My doctor told me that there was no way possible that I could have passed a stone that size and it NOT cause me any pain. He even joked that it was large enough to put it on a ring and have an… interesting jewelry piece.

Once I got home and was able to rest and clear my head for a bit, I started trying to pinpoint when I may have passed the stone. The week that I used natural remedies for a UTI, I was drinking A LOT. The plan we formed involved different liquids to flush my urinary tract, help with inflammation, and get rid of infection. Because of that I had to pee almost constantly. One time, while using the restroom my urine abruptly stopped, but I knew I wasn’t done. I bore down like I was birthing a child and there was a loud pop.

My first thought, of course, was that I had passed the stone. The only issue was that I didn’t see a stone anywhere! So I just chalked it up to my body is ridiculously abnormal in most aspects.

Long Story Short

Essentially, I had surgery for no reason. I am in more pain than I was when I went in and am practically useless for the week.

I guess this is just God’s way of giving me a break! LOL!

What’s your craziest surgery/health story?



If you’d like to try any of the natural remedies we came up with to clear out my bladder infection (and apparently kidney stones), click HERE!

For blog updates, be sure to subscribe below! You can also follow Mama Of Kings Blog on Facebook!

Subscribe for Exclusive Updates!

For blog updates, tips & tricks, and exclusive content, be sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter using the form below!


Thank you for signing up!

Ariel King is a Stay-At-Home mom to her three children, Lana, Ace, and Norah. Writing and researching are two of her biggest passions. People say that she is full of all kinds of useless knowledge, and it is even rumored she has a Google PhD. She is not a typical mainstream mom, imperfect in every way, but is on a mission to encourage and inspire other moms. Her belief is that no one should feel alone in the day to day of motherhood.

14 thoughts on “Unexpected Surgery News

  1. Oh my gosh! Thats amazing that your body was healed without surgery. It’s also amazing that you had surgery for no reason BUT like you said – God’s giving you some rest time! Get feeling better!! I don’t have any crazy surgery stories to share but that’s a good thing!

    1. I think God is slowly revealing more and more about this whole experience to me! I will probably be doing a follow up article soon! I have had way too many surgeries, and most of them have had a crazy outcome. It is definitely a good thing that you haven’t had to have one!

  2. WOW!!!! This is an amazing story and so full of raw, real, almost hilarious truth and “well, whatcha gonna do?!” that I really, really love it. I do hope you heal up real well from your crazy surgery, though!! I had surgery on my wrist last year and boy, it amazed me how out of it I was afterward and how long it took me to get back to near normal… and that wasn’t on a major system, either! Praying for no more kidney stones and LOTS of rest with/despite your littles. <3

    1. Hahaa! Glad you enjoyed it! I am feeling almost back to normal at this point, I give it a couple more days and I’ll be back at 100%! Thank you so much for your prayers!

  3. Ahh gosh! I’m so sorry you had to have surgery for no reason! But so glad that you can see the positives in it and knowing that God used it as a way to give you some rest! Hang in there mama!!!

  4. God forces us Mommas to rest sometimes! Relax as much as you can! I’ve never had kidney stones but I have heard they are excruciating when passing them, I can’t imagine! Maybe it just dissolved? Who knows!

    1. Thankful that He is always looking out for us! They can get pretty painful. Thankfully the majority of my pain was only felt once a month. It’s just crazy because every time I went to the hospital they said it was getting bigger and bigger. Then surgery comes and its GONE. All 20+ stones GONE. Still blows my mind what an awesome Physician our God is!

Share your thoughts with MOK!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.